Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Migits


My last post was ambitious.
I wanted to clean that day,
but ended up in a little drama.
My "I don't get angry" self was tested.
I was better though,
although it took me about 2 days until I really felt peace with the situation.
I let myself be distracted.
I wish that never happened.
Life is just too short.

Friday morning was again spent in my favorite place with my favorite husband.
(He will always be my favorite.)
I felt a little anxiety.
We left on a road trip at noon that day.
It was our final big wrestling tournament of the season.
Corbin was super excited.
He l.o.v.e.s. tournaments,
although he didn't wrestle in this one.
He still put on his wrestling shoes and bopped around the arena.
Snow cones and ice cream and funnel cake.
What kid wouldn't love that?
And Colin and Caleb wrestled great.

How to prepare boys to compete?
Well, I had to stop and consider that it would have terrified me.
And then I tried to help them remember where their strength comes from.
Colin was missing a few things before the trip that he needed.
He and Dan were about to tear into the house when I suggested that we stop and say a prayer.
Colin immediately found his missing items.
He knew his prayer was heard.

Friday afternoon was the weigh-in.
Prescott is such a different town than Las Vegas.
It felt relaxing and comfortable.
We had dinner in a non-crowded restaurant,
and the boys were safe to see a movie while Dan and I waited.
We were in walking distance to everything.
We hit the sack early.

Contrast that to our Vegas wrestling trip,
which was loud, crowded and restless....
(Okay, this trip was still restless for me.
Apparently, Ainsley doesn't like hotels.)

This tournament had 1000 wrestlers competing on 14 mats.
There was an awesome Opening Ceremonies.
Do you know what I love most about big sporting events?
The National Anthem.
It always makes me cry.

There is tremendous anxiety until the boys get through their first match.
(Actually, the anxiety comes in waves all day,
but it's solid until that 1st bout is over.
I can barely sit for any match though.)
4.5 minutes feels like eternity when it's your own kid wrestling.

To help,
We read an inspiring story from the scriptures that morning and said good prayers.
It was a good start.
What I noticed most this time was that it took a heavy dose of spiritual strength to get through that day.
Anxiety causes different reactions in different people.
I kept reminding the boys to fight it off.
What they needed most to win was strength in their hearts.

They both had good success.
Next year will be even better.

On the way home, we talked about our upcoming plans.
Football and wrestling,
School and church.
Church.
Yes church.
And Dan reminded me that he would be working the next day.
I could see the relief in his tired eyes,
until I reminded him that we would all be leaving at the same time.
No way he was casually rolling out of bed and driving off into the sunrise.
All our tired kids would be dressed in their best and in the van at 7:15am.
He sighed.
Of course they would be.
And they were,
except it was 7:30am.
The kids were laughing at me when I was saying to the last kid, "Hurry up. We are about to be late."
The older kids all said, "Late for being early. Church starts at 8:00, mom."
(The big boys have to set up chairs and there isn't another way, so we all go early.)

Church was good.
I picked my battles,
and lost a few.
The littles were extra clingy.
Sister Rogers came and sat with me,
and we made it through the whole first hour.
How is it that I ended up with such spirited kids?
In another life, it would have embarrassed me.
Now seeing more of the spectrum,
I appreciate their energy.
I know that they will do great things.

For instance,
I took our midget 4-year-old back to wrestling.
He will be the only one of our boys participating for awhile.
When we started, he wasn't quite ready to learn.
Last night, he did pretty well.
He has the cutest little stance.
It looks very natural for him.

From wrestling, we went over to football practice.
The mighty-mights were running hills behind us.
Cade fell right in line.
They were practicing 'off-sides' drills.
We go on 'hut'.
Cade could wait.
The coaches were making the little dudes run the hill extra when they jumped on anything other than 'hut'.
As our big boys finished, I called over to Cade to walk out.
He said, "No mom. We have 2 more to go."
So we waited for two more rounds.
Cade is going to love tackle football.

Well, I know I had more to write, but it's time to do my chores.
Spring Break has begun,
and yesterday I gathered the kids to decide what our plan was for it.
The weather is amazing here right now.

The kids voted on many things.
First, we would stay here and lock up the computers and Wii (Netflix) for the next 2 weeks.
They added "100 football passes" to their chore charts.
9:30am was the voted time to have chores finished.
If chores aren't complete by 9:30am, they voted to give a 35 minute grace, after which time, the kid is grounded and becomes Mom's minion for the day.
They agreed to using vinegar as a reminder when a child talks back or using language that is not acceptable.
5 minutes on a hard chair with the scriptures for fighting or disrespect.
And.....if anyone farts on someone else, that person has to go in the closet where the other children have farted and stay there 5 minutes.
(I thought that rule was odd...but the children all agreed, except Corbin)
The children also decided to walk the house and pick up anything that belongs to them.
They said, just throw all the stuff away that gets left out.
It means no one wants it bad enough to pick it up.

I love that the kids are so much like me about this house.
A good day around here involves a large garbage can and a carpet cleaner.

Day 1 was successful.
The kids did their chores and 3 went on a sleepover with Grammie.
3 decided to hang together at the mall for 4 hours.
I was left with the 3 youngest and a quiet afternoon.

Day 2 is not starting as strong, but I think they will perk up.

Well, that's it for this morning.
We've been to the gym and I blogged.
What more do I need to do today?

Oh, the gym.
There was a recent discussion about how women should dress for work outs in public.
One lady posted that she goes looking like a homeless person.
I like it.
That's the new look I'm going for too.
It sounds like a great trend.

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi I’m Heather! Please email me when you get a chance! I have a question about your blog. HeatherVonsj(at)gmail(dot)com

Greg said...

Oh, I miss you. When I don't read your blog for a whille and then I get back to reading it, I LOVE it. there is always something that you say that makes me laugh or at least feel good. by the way, what do you eat for dinner on the crazy busy nights of stuff going on?